'This nice and subtle happiness of reading..

by tosca on Tuesday, December 7, 2010

... this joy not chilled by age, this polite and unpunished vice, this selfish, serene life-long intoxication.
~ Logan Pearsall Smith


I'm late for my Monday post because...well, just because. Take your pick: I was lazy, tired, had a toothache, had an earache, had a headache, all of the above because they were all tied up in a wisdom tooth I'm too chicken to get yanked >.< So here's my Monday 'What I'm reading' update. It's kind of a quick one, though, because my book mojo is still broken and, as a result, I'm not getting much done that isn't sent to me to review for SFFANZ (Science Fiction Association New Zealand). So...what am I reading?



Title: Death most definite (image courtesy of GoodReads.com)
Author: Trent Jamieson
Publisher: Orbit, 2010
Synopsis: "Steve works in the family firm. He's a Pomp - tasked with easing spirits from this dimension to the next after death. And he's kind of OK with that, until someone high up the corporate hierarchy makes a bid to be Australia's new Regional Death. This means killing all of the current Death's staff. After his parents, relatives and pretty much every other Pomp he ever knew has been killed, Steve is left to make a reluctant stand. But to do this he must stay alive..." -- Publisher description. (This is book 1 in the 'Death works' series).

Title: Managing death (image courtesy of GoodReads.com)
Author: Trent Jamieson
Publisher: Orbit, 2010
Synopsis: Steven and Lissa may have stopped a Regional Apocalypse, but that's only the beginning. People are dying in the brutal summer heat. Stirrers are on the rise as their dark god draws near. And someone is trying to kill Steven de Selby. (This is book 2 in the 'Death works' series).

Title: Nightshade (image courtesy of GoodReads.com)
Author: Andrea Cremer
Publisher: Atombooks, 2010
Synopsis: Calla and Ren have been raised knowing it is their destiny to mate with one another and rule over their shape-shifting wolf pack, but when a human boy arrives and vies for Calla's heart, she is faced with a decision that could change her whole world.

One last thing...
I attended the Bon Jovi concert on Sunday night just gone and it was mother krunkin' awesome. They've still got it :) Also Jon Bon Jovi touched Merrin's hand :D It's true - he did. Unfortunately, the son of a gun ran past too fast for me to snap a picture so all I got was grabby hands reaching out o_O I don't know who was screaming louder when he touched her: Merrin, myself or Renee. It was a great night and my head was ringing for hours afterward and I felt like I was 11 years old all over again and listening to them on tape for the very first time. Good days :) I do have a whole heap of pictures I snapped throughout the night and you can find those on my Facebook page (they've been zapped through Instagram to flashy them up a bit) and I also posted them to Twitpic. Totally shallow of me but I think Jon looked as good today, at 48, as he did in 1986 when 'Slippery when wet' was first released.

Leave your comment

Kia ora! Have a comment or suggestion to make? Then speak now or forever hold your peace.